Monday, February 13, 2012

Be still and chill

This Monday's post is simple and basic. Instead of decorating it with detailed stories from the past couple weeks, I'm keeping it light.
I had coffee with my oldest friend on Friday night. Something that was long overdo. She's been my best friend (BFF if I'm being hip) since before we could walk. We laughed, vented and chatted for what seemed like hours and promised to do it more often.

In a world full of endless noise, activity, committments and stresses we generally don't take the time to just BE. We are constantly moving, doing, and thinking. On that night I finally took the time out. I be-ed! (And for the record you won't find that word in Webster's Dictionary...I like to make up my own).

"Be still and know that I am God." -Psalm 46:10
This is my life verse - the one I always return to.

I'm told this is one of the most misunderstood verses in the Bible. I don't know if that's true - but for me it's only in the last year that I've truly come to recognize the full meaning behind it. Being still doesn't just mean staying in one place. The word 'still' comes from a Hebrew word meaning 'to slacken, release or let go'. And knowing God? You can't just add Him as a friend on Facebook and say "Hey, I know Him - we're like BFFs!"

Being still and knowing God comes from taking the time out to quiet your mind, to release the stresses of the world and to actively pursue a relationship with Him. He isn't going to compete with all the other noises in your life to get your attention. By turning down the volume in our heads and entering into a moment with God, we get to know Him. We get to HEAR Him when He speaks. And when we hear Him - giving up our worries and letting go of our problems seems to become a lot easier.

Think of how therapeutic a long conversation over lattes with a close friend is. Jesus knows you better than any worldly friend you'll ever have. He is truly your BFF. He might not pay for coffee but He'll always listen and offer the perfect advice if you take the time out to meet with Him.

The world is a busy place - as are we in it. Instead of reaching the point of wanting to curl up into the fetal position and cry (like I did last week), take a time out, turn down the "noise" and chill out with your BFF.

Whether it's over lattes or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment